A framework for creating flexible, powerful admin dashboards in Rails. Try the demo.
Note: Administrate is still pre-1.0, and there may be occasional breaking changes to the API.
What Is Administrate?
Administrate is a library for Rails apps that automatically generates admin dashboards. Administrate's admin dashboards give non-technical users clean interfaces that allow them to create, edit, search, and delete records for any model in the application.
To accomplish these goals, Administrate follows a few guiding principles:
- No DSLs (domain-specific languages)
- Support the simplest use cases, and let the user override defaults with standard tools such as plain Rails controllers and views.
- Break up the library into core components and plugins, so each component stays small and easy to maintain.
Add Administrate to your Gemfile:
# Gemfile gem "administrate", "~> 0.1.4"
Re-bundle, then run the installer:
$ rails generate administrate:install
Restart your server, and visit http://localhost:3000/admin to see your new dashboard in action.
To customize the appearance, behavior, and contents of the dashboard, see the guides at http://administrate-docs.herokuapp.com.
This repository contains both the source code for Administrate, and a demo Rails app that uses Administrate. The demo app is hosted publicly on Heroku.
- The gem's source code lives in the
- The demo app is nested within
Rails configuration files have been changed to recognize the app in the new location, so running the server or deploying to Heroku works normally.
With this structure, developing a typical feature looks like:
- Add tests in
- Implement a feature in
- Exercise the feature using the demo rails app (
Use the following guides for getting things done, programming well, and programming in style.